Monday, 30 January 2012


I've been asked about the movement trays shown in the New Units post. For those interested, here are the blow by blow details. They are normally made from 3mm (1/8th) MDF initially ripped to the base width on my table saw, and some stripwood the same thickness. The first photo shows the tools and materials needed for one base, in this case an eight man cavalry unit, including the individual bases for the figures. This base was knocked up in a day, not counting the painting, between various birthday celebration happenings.

Next, glue the stripwood along one edge and one end. I like to mitre the corners, but it's not essential.

Use the individual bases to set out the other two pieces, remembering to leave a bit of space for paint thickness, otherwise the figures won't fit the space. Once the glue is dry, in neccesary, cut of any extra length or width. Sand the edges.

The completed base is then painted. I use a basic primer and top coat of a tin I had made up at B&Q, (for people outside the UK, this is a DIY superstore with branches everywhere), to match Humbrol green number 80, which is my normal figure base colour. The trick is to use quick drying paint where you can wash the grushes out in water. Apart from fitting labels and figures, the tray is complete.

I did experiment with hardboard for one tray, but wasn't happy with the finish. I found the edges 'frayed' terribly and were difficult to sand smooth. I won't be doing that again.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent account of your basing technique- most useful.Thanks for posting it.
    best wishes