Monday 27 May 2013

A few oddments

It is MrsJ's fault really, she suggested it! One of the projects I'd planned for this year was the building of a sectional surface to fit over our flap-top dining table, giving me a square gaming table. Recent events, beginning with the collapse of the sofabed in the spare room and ending with our recent caravan trip to France, led her to suggest that we a) bought a couple of camp beds rather than a new put-u-up, and b) we needed a larger folding table for our awning.
This is the first fruits. Opened, as here, it is 2'6" x 6, and you can see a unit of 54mm rifle volunteers sitting on it'. What MrsJ doesn't know is that I have a second one on order. This will give me a beautiful table that fits the room with space to move. Pity about the gap in the middle, but a cloth should hide that.

Second, I promised myself that I would stick to my three eras and projects. No willpower, you see. It was the sight of the Toytown tables in the photos of Triples (various blogs) that did it. I sent an order off to Eureka. Eventually the land of Blytonia will have two small armies, Army Red and Army Blue, based at Fort Not and Fort So respectively. but that is fo9r the coming winter. No more for now.

While I was rooting round the shed this week I came across an old margarine tub full of bits and pieces, amongst these were some old GW dwarf miners, a few 54mm Brtains railway figure recasts, some GZG 'steampunk' figures (now I believe part of the Eureka line, and those shown below (forgive poor photo)
 
I think they are supposed to be Waterloo Life Guards, but three seem to have lost their swords, and the paint job is atrocious, possibly never finished. Does anyone recognise them or can suggest a good home.
 
Finally, just to show the problems I create for myself, here is a picture of the worktop side of my shed showing the chaos created by the various projects currently on the go (at least 5 by my count).
 




4 comments:

  1. Two of those folding tables gives you 5' x 6' - pretty good, I reckon! Three for 7' 6" x 6' and you have just about the ideal wargames table.

    Those 4 cavalry figures don't look too bad at all in that photo. A 'toy soldier' style of finish that can look quite attractive.

    Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a howling southerly blowing straight off Antarctica, sunny now but sleet promised for later, and wishing I was in that shed of yours on such a balmy early afternoon as that appears to be. I might be forced to light the fire shortly...
    cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two tables fit fine, three would just be greedy (and leave no room to walk round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading of your plans.
    If the "Waterloo Guards" are 54mm and you don't want them,I'd be interested to use them as Tradgardland Guardsmen.How much do you want for them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joppy less is more the table is perfect!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete