Monday 11 January 2021

13th (Llandaff) Corps, Glamorganshire Volunteer Rifle Corps, 1860

 


My first painted unit completed in a long time. The figures represent a unit of the Glamorganshire Volunteer Rifle Corps of 1860, when they wore an unusual uniform of dark blue with green embellishments. 



The original donor figure, complete with full trousers and coat braiding, is unrecognised by me, and Giles Brown of Dorset Miniatures couldn't place it either. It doesn't appear to be Britains 'standing Hussar' or 'Argentinian cadet' as I see them in my reference books, but could be another make. I replaced the head with one from the Fort Henry Guard, lopping the pom pom off first, and gave the officer a little cord on his belt. Rifle and sword arms come from Replica Models.

These figures took a long time to finish (I started them back in November) as my fine lines seem to wobble these days and need a lot of retouching. I do have some FHG figures in stock which may get painted next, I just need to find an appropriate uniform from my file.




5 comments:

  1. Huzzah! Lovely looking figures, is a skirmish brewing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unusual and smart uniform , great looking figures .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very handsome figures!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Figures just don't to stand still while being painted as they used to.

    The final result looks quite attractive though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine job there - they turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete