Sunday 1 November 2020

Here We Go Again!

 Well, here we are going into lockdown again for (at least) a month. Good job MrsJ and I have just done our monthly shop (think we are alright for toilet rolls and flour). Took a trip to the library as well, stocked up with reading material so we should be covered. I recently discovered M.C.Beaton's 'Hamish Macbeth' stories so I'm working my way through those, and I've started on the Perry Mason books which I get on my Kindle reading device. They should keep me going. Another series that I recommend is by Mick Herron, and concerns a group of washed up, disgraced and embarrasing (to their chiefs) spies from the intelligence service. 

Having, in one way or another, blotted their copy books (or in one case being framed as having done so) this varied group of misfits is seconded to an annexe called Slough House, where they are given menial and meaningless tasks in the hopes that they will get fed up and resign. The first of the novels is called Slow Horses, a play on the address  and what the service calls them. There are a number of other titles, some only short novellas, and they need to be read in order, as the author ,Nick Herron, has no qualms about killing off major characters along the way.


Definitely not the romantic vision of a spy, I recommend them for a long dark evening. 

Back to military matters next time, photos still in the camera. 

4 comments:

  1. there was a very good 'Hamish Macbeth' TV series on the BBC about 20 years ago .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it was nothing like the books. Still good though.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joppy - Sorry to hear your going into Lockdown yet again at least for a month...after I had my Heart Operation in April I could not drive the car for six weeks - it seemed to take ages. Glad your well stocked up on things to keep you occupied there. Were very fortunate here in New South Wales with no new cases of COVID-19 and no deaths...yet we are still as a Nation - very cautious. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sister-in-law in Oz (not sure where, she and her husband are part of the elderly 'travelling' generation there, and reports are very encouraging. You seem to have got it right, wish we could say the same.

    ReplyDelete