Thursday 13 February 2020

R.I.P. Roy Dilley

I have just received a message from Paul Vickers, President of the British Model Soldier Society, that Roy Dilley, doyen of Model Soldier collectors everywhere, has passed away. I am sure that other bloggers will detail his life, times and accomplishments but I'd just like to record that it was Roy, along with Henry Harris, that set me on the route to conversion of 54mm figures.



It was Roy's articles in Airfix Magazine, converting Almark and Airfix figures into troop types I would never have thought of, and his book "Scale Model Soldiers" of 1972, that gave me so much inspiration. Unfortunately I could never emulate his expertise but I kept trying.



So another of the old stagers has gone, and will be missed.

4 comments:

  1. I am vexed to hear this news. I loved the book Scale Model Soldiers as a boy. I recently purchased a replacement copy and was as thrilled with it now as I was then. It encouraged me to collect and paint 54mm figures before I even wargamed. He would be a great inspiration to many I am sure and will be missed.
    Was he a wargamer does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another of the Old Guard departs , I remember his articles back in the 70s , an inspiration .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to enjoy his articles in the Military Modelling and I am lucky enough to still have the Almark book. A very knowledgeable man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved his books, and a chapter in one of them by a certain Donald Featherstone introduced me to wargaming, so I owe Roy Dilley a great deal.
    RIP, Sir.

    ReplyDelete