Monday 8 February 2016

FLW Part 4

I've not done too well on the painting side this week, so no picture. I'm doing a unit of Highlanders and I hate painting tartans! I've left out some of the finer lines, and just discovered I've painted the sporrans the wrong colour. I assumed that they were black with white tassels, but looking at the illustration I'm using I find they are white with black tassels. So they need re-doing.

Also I lost two days, as I had to take an unscheduled trip up to Northamptonshire. Hence lack of progress.

In the meantime I've been tracking down suppliers of castings for my own personal favourite figure, readily adaptable for this era, the Victorian Fort Henry Guard (see previous posts). My original stock of Replica Models recasts are now all gone, and I need to find a replacement. Fortunately I have found a few makers that can supply. The new style Britains figure, unfortunately, is not a patch on their original. The modern version has no strapping detail moulded on, just painted in a very thin line, so is relatively useless for my purposes.


The Canadian firm of Scott J Dummitt have a number of painted sets, but they also have a pair of marching figures. When I contacted the owners they only had a couple of privates in stock, but very kindly sent their caster out into his cold shed to provide me with enough figures for another unit. These will go on the bottom of the painting list. They give a different pose to add variety.

Another supplier, who I still await a reply from, is The British Toy Soldier Company, though they only seem to provide a private. This figure, I believe, was originally offered as a subscription 'gift' for the Toy Soldier and Model Figure magazine.

In the meantime I am in consultation with Giles Brown of Dorset Soldiers about producing a mould from some of my figures, at least then I can have a steady source of castings to play with.

Finally, and here I would like some assistance from any Canadian followers, there was a firm called'Queen Victoria's Enterprises' that had the figure in various guises. Produced were marching, firing, corps of drums, colour party, pioneer and mascot. Unfortunately one of the partners, Colin Cunningham of Toronto, passed away in April 2015, and I can't find trace of his co-partner, Jim Shakley, oe whether the company is still operating. Can anybody help track them down?



No comments:

Post a Comment