Wednesday 28 October 2015

Distractions

I thought that, with the wedding over, I could get down to some action in Humperstein, but things conspire against me.

A year or so ago my son began the 'restoration' of a 60 year old pond yacht built by my father and languishing for years in my nephew's loft until he decided to dispose of it. Unfortunately, once his nibs had reduced the boat to its constituent parts (photo) he lost interest. I promised to complete the job, and rashly mentioned Xmas!! Hopefully he won't remember that I didn't specify which one.

I'm also in the process of building a model railway (7mm=1ft, 16.5mm gauge) in half of the shed and want to take as much advantage of the reasonable weather we are having to get some track laid

And in the evenings I have continued the rebasing of my Humperstein infantry, I've nearly completed all the current units, with only a couple to go. I had intended to use a couple of days next week, when MrsJ goes away overnight for a works meeting, to use the dining room table for a first battle in the new (old) style, but am now informed that my sister in law who was been given a BEM in the honours list, gets her gong on Sunday the 8th and we are invited to watch, so that is half the week away from home. 

The good news is that, when I bought my paper from WHSmiths a couple of days ago I was given a discount voucher, which I immediately spent to get a couple of books cheaper that priced.


These are both quite hefty volumes, with 'The War in the West' being volume one of a new history. These will be my main bedtime reading for a few months.



7 comments:

  1. Hi IAN- glad to see you are making headway on your Projects. The Pond Yacht looks an enjoyable and rewarding restoration. Developments on your O-16.5, 7mm/ft Railway looks like fun- Your Armies are coming together... look forward to seeing some pictures of their deployment. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you posting here again.
    I look forward to seeing the progression of these interesting projects.
    What rules will you use for forthcoming game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very simple set my son and I used many years ago. Though I may have to tweak the casualty calculations.It will be a small border skirmish, the first shots in the a campaign as yet unnamed.

      Delete
  3. Lots of wonderful projects a pond yacht and a model railway - every chaps dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That model railway set up looks interesting ! ,Tony

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of England vs US questions. What does a "works meeting" mean?
    Does the Queen award BEMs? Does getting a BEM possibly qualify your sister-in-law for further honors, such as becoming a Dame?

    Good luck with the pond boat. That looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for getting back to you so late in the day, only just found the questions.
      A works meeting is when MrsJ, who is a training assessor in the Care Industry (i.e. she goes round care homes making sure the staff are doing their training towards qualifications for their jobs) goes off for a staff meeting with her colleagues. As these meetings take place some 3 hours drive away, and start early, she drives half way the night before and stays with her sister, before continuing to the meeting next morning.
      The BEM is the British Empire Medal, and is awarded by the Sovereign for meritorious civil or military service worthy of recognition. In this case my sister-in-law was reccommended by some of the residents of her village for all her work on the village committee and Parish Council over the years. She knew nothing about it until the official letter arrived.
      The award is quite low down on the list, but doesn't stop others coming if it's thought deserving. In theory she could end up as a Dame in the House of Lords, but this is very unlikely!

      Delete