Thursday 7 November 2013

What am I Reading?

Because of the weather, a little part-time work, and Mrs.J's redundancy I have been rather sidetracked over the last few weeks, but have noticed a few bloggers filling out details of a recent book survey. My answers are apt to change on a day-to-day basis, so I have resisted temptation to answer in full, but I have 10 bookcases of various sizes scattered about the house, the 27th book from the left in the one on the landing is, strangely enough, a copy of the Bible (we appear to have three in the house), and the author I have read most of is Terry Pratchett (probably because he has been so productive).
The item I'm reading at the moment, having just finished Conn Iggulden's 'Stormbringer' - and I look forward to the reast of the series - is this -



Non UK residents may not know the name, but Al Murray is a well-known and well-educated comedian with an alter-ego as a pub landlord. I find him hilarious. He has written the above book which I dipped into in the local bookshop, and I think it could be something along the lines of 'Achtung Schweinhund' for interest, though covering war films and their accurate portrayal of historical events.

The blurb - in full - says "Have you ever watched a film with someone who, at the most dramatic scene, argues that the plane on screen hasn't been invented yet? Or that the tank rumbling towards the hero at the end of the film is the wrong tank altogether?
Al Murray is that someone. Try as he might, he can't help himself.

ps - the little collection of 'Monty' pictures is something totally unexpected.


Something else I picked up at the library today (if you don't use it, you lose it) was this



It's an area of history I'm not too familiar with. Yes, I knew we'd burnt the White House and I read C.S.Forester's book on the naval war many years ago, but apart from that, nothing. I look forward to reading this book over the next couple of weeks.

According to the Daily Telegraph review section last saturday, publishers are releasing around 1000 books on WW1 over the next twelvemonth, to cover the anniversary of the beginning of WW1. In my mind we are 'celebrating' four years too early, as it should be the end of the war we look back on, rather than the start. Just my opinion.














No comments:

Post a Comment